Sunday, July 29, 2007

Superstud by Paul Fieg

I read Superstud during the same car trip in which I read Notes From the Underground. That was a huge mistake. Paul Fieg's experiences with the fairer sex had so much in common with Notes' existential angst that I occasionally forgot which book I was reading. Superstud was funnier though.

Humor books are difficult to review, so I'll just say that Superstud is quite funny and sometimes quite poignant, not unlike Paul Fieg's crowning accomplishment, Freaks and Geeks. It's a collection of essays connected only by the fact that they a) happened to the same person and b) are told her in chronological order. From the world's worst not-a-date to an REO Speedwagon concert to Michigan's mostly blatantly racist girlfriend, all the stories are funny and strangely relatable. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Fieg's other book, Kick Me, but it's still worth the read if you're into that sort of thing.

No comments: